Sunday, January 11, 2009

Rainy Day

Today we met out modern Near Eastern studies teachers Ophir Yarden who is Jewish and Dr. Adnan Musallam who is Palestinian. Both are amazing professors and I'm excited to learn each of their perspectives on the Holy Lands. After lunch we had free time and we were told we could go into Jerusalem but only under very strict conditions. There had been some Palestinian demonstrations in the city last week, protesting the conflict in Gaza. We were asked to stay in groups of at least 5 people and at least one guy. As we walked around in our group I felt safe. I love being inside the Old City. We went to The Church of the Holy Sepulcher, it was nice. As we walked the streets we heard "No charge for looking." and "For Mormons, half price." a lot. I wasn't planning on buying anything, but it began to rain, so I bartered with a guy who wanted 50 shekels for an umbrella, he eventually went down to 20, but I told him that it was still too much then later I came to a gentleman who sold one to me for 15. We got back to the center drenched, but way happy. It was a lovely day!



If you will look closely, I am noticeably dryer than the rest of the group, thanks to my new umbrella ;-)

-Jecia-

1 comment:

  1. If Dad & I calculated right, a shekel is about equal to a quarter. It sounds like you got a good deal on your umbrella.

    ReplyDelete