Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Yet another great day at BYU- Jerusalem

I realized that I never said anything about shabat (the sabbath). I have been called as a nursery leader. I have three little kids in nursery and they are all adorable. On that same thought on shabatt we never get lunch, but I now get snack time. I have yet again defied the system (whoo hoo).
Yesterday a group of us went to West Jerusalem (the Jewish quarter) and we went to this place called the time elevator. It was a motion ride that covered the history of Jerusalem from the jewish perspective, I felt so smart as I walked out of the theatre.
Today we went on our first field trip. It was all with in 15 miles of the center, but there is so much to see. I now have see Jerusaelm from every angle. I have decided that the buses+ these streets+ my motion sickness= no bueno. We went to Samuel's barriel place and 200 steps of the tower of a lutheran church (that I can't remeber the name of) and we saw ramat rahel (it is a lot nicer than when mom and dad stayed there, they told us that it was renevated in the last 5 years or so), we also went to a jewish cemetary and a few other places.
The day was really cool getting to see all the sights, but the more I am in this land the more I realize two things: How absolutely beautiful it is and how torn it is. I used to think that the conflicts i Isreal were so cut and dry, black and white, but the more I learn the more I realize that neither side is completely clean. In the last five years there has been a huge undertaking of building a seperation wall. Imagine two children fighting and putting a duct tape line down the middle of the room, only it is not duct tape- it is cement and the line is not straight down the middle it is built around all the cool toys and the best bed and the larger part of the room.
Yesterday we had a man from the American Embassy came and do a forum. He spoke very openly (not to be shared with the media) about the goings on in Gaza. I mean to tell you what... wow. It is insanity!
I love being here!
P.S. Dad I met Tuttle. (I thought he'de have more of an accent after graduating from Poli-Techniqe, but alas he didn't)

-Eliza

No comments:

Post a Comment