Saturday, February 7, 2009

Eliza hits yet another continent

With much anticipation I finally decided to address the masses. I know it has been too long, but it helps build suspense... I went to Egypt. One of the coolest/ dirtiest experiences of my life. I lived off of hand sanitizer and bottled water. There was no drinking of the water and after seeing the Nile I understood 100 percent. I rode a camel that was an adventure I would do again only next time I would pick a less discusting camel. Lets be honest though- it was great! My camel was named Mr. Love-Love. What more needs to be said. I was proposed to multiple times and I was asked many times if I was a polygamist (normally there was at least 4 girls to every guy) in an attempt for self preservation I always said yes I was married and I even switched my ring to the proper finger... good memories. The temples were so cool and the pyramids were amazing. The Egyptians were truly amazing and a great civilization. They had so much temple symbolism and I was really glad that I was there with Brother Andrew Skinner, who is a true genius, I don't know if I would even want that much knowledge in my brain, it might hurt.
Our tour guide in Egypt was Mama Pharaoh and she was a riot. She took really good care of us.
We had one over night train ride... I don't really know where to start with that one. Our breakfast in the morning was, no joke, four different kinds of bread all individually wrapped and stale. The breakfast of champions. That night I slept with all my cloths on, my pants tucked in my socks and a hood over my head. I tried with all my might to sleep like a mummy (not the most comfortable sleep ever). All in all though it was worth it for the memories.
Before I went to Egypt I thought Jerusalem was pushy and that I had to watch my back some times, but after Egypt Jerusalem is a cake walk and I feel more at home here than ever.
While we were on our way to Egypt we stayed in a kibbutz. It is a community where everyone lives and works together. The kibbutz pays for 80 percent of your expenses (housing, electricity, food etc) and then they give you an allowance to get the rest. It was a really interesting idea, but it seemed too much like "1984"with big brother or "the giver". I have to admit I could never live like that.
Today we had Presiding Bishop Burton give us a fireside and it was really enlightening. I just kept thinking how blessed I am. I am in the holy land. I have amazing professors. I get the presiding bishop to give us a fireside. Can life get any better? I submit that it can not.
A few days ago I went to this place called Ein Kerem. It is the place they say John the Baptist was born. It looked like a scene from a movie. There were two churches that were so picturesque. The streets were adorable. The whole thing looked like it should have been in Italy. It was beautiful and I am totally going back.
I also went to the biblical gardens which in case you were wondering: in January/ February are dead. The only area that looked semi-green was the north-American section in the Nevada, Arizona region. The palm trees,cacti and brownish shrubbery made me feel right at home.
Summation: I love it here. I have met some of the most amazing people and am having a blast with all my new friends. I am so grateful to anyone and everyone who helped me get here. Thanks

-Eliza-

1 comment:

  1. i am so proud of you girls! it sounds like you are having quite the wonderful experiences there. stay safe and be smart- we love ya!

    ReplyDelete