Thursday, February 19, 2009

Yad Vashem

Yesterday we went as a class to Yad Vashem. Yad Veshem is the athority when it comes to the Holocaust. It gave a very interesting perspective on the Holocaust. It was similar to many other museums, but there was one part that I really liked. They have what is called "the righteous among the nations". These are those individuals who where heroic and helped the jews in their time of need. There was a quote by a pope who inspired a town of 500 to save over 300 Jews, he said, "I don't know what a jew is, all I know is what human beings are". Yad Vashem is not only a monument to the 6,000,000 jews who died in the holocaust, but it is also a witness to the good inthe world. That even in the midst of such a horrifying display of man kind there where those willing to step up and say this is not right. It makes you stop and wonder: Would I sit by and allow others to die or would I stand up for what I know was right, even if my life were on the line?

-Eliza-

No comments:

Post a Comment