Wednesday, February 4, 2009

So Egypt

Hey Hey! Egypt was over a week long so I'll do my best to emphasize the finer points. The pyramids were phenomenal, there were a lot of tricky sales men around there that we had to dodge though. I appreciated more the Valley of the Kings where we interpreted religious hieroglyphics that showed ancient pot lucks and scout camps and ensigns etc. It was so much fun! I really did love walking around the temples like Karnak and Ramses III and Luxor. We were split into two groups, Eliza and I were separated, but often I would join her group and more than just for her company; her group had a more explanatory guide, Br. Skinner, who gave all sorts of commentary along the way. Memphis had only one statue of note, but I loved going there because my favorite song is "Walking in Memphis" so Eliza and I did a recording of us walking in Memphis as well as triple stepping in Memphis. Also, the camel ride was the coolest thing ever! I wore a skirt so I could ride like Laurence of Arabia. So much fun! The last thing we did before we left was climb Mt. Sinai for the sunrise. I was excited for this hike and it was very cold, but I was at the end of the group so when we got to the top, we didn't have to stay up there very long in the wind. It was neat to think about what it must have been like for Moses and with the analogy of the mountain being like the temple I felt that it didn't matter if I made it to the top if those I loved couldn't make it with me. This is the condensed version of our trip. Any elaboration you wish to hear may be given on request.




Eliza and I with the Sphinx and either Menkehure or Kufu's pyramid in the background.


Me on Mt. Sinai as the sun began to rise.


-Jecia-

No comments:

Post a Comment