Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Hezekiah's Tunnel

Today we hiked Hezekiah's tunnel. It was so fun! The tunnel was originally built to bring the exterior water sources of the City of David into the city so if they were ever laid under siege, they would have their water right there with them. The tunnels still have water in them, but it's not too high. Most of the time it was around my ankles or mid-calf. I didn't want to walk around wet today, so I wore my water shorts under my skirt, and ditched the skirt while I hiked the tunnel. This is one of the cooler things we've done so far. Afterwards we had free time so a small group of us went to the Bethesda pools where the people believed the waters posesed medicinal powers and where Christ healed the man sitting beside the pools. The pools are just inside of Lions gate, and you have to enter St. Annes church to get to them. Today there's no water, but a lot of neat ruins. It's a very rustic and peaceful place. It was a nice relaxing day.

Look how smart we are! Cate, Jessica and me
Inside of Hezekiah's tunnel


-Jecia-

No comments:

Post a Comment